Monday 2 September 2013

Written Ability - TCS campus Recruitment Exam new pattern



Business letter writing phrases


10 good opening lines

We need an opening line in a business letter or professional email:
to make reference to previous correspondence; to say how we found the recipient’s name/address; to say why we are writing to the recipient.
·         With reference to your letter of 8 June, I … .
·         I am writing to inquire about … .
·         After having seen your advertisement in … , I would like … .
·         After having received your address from … , I … .
·         I received your address from … and would like … .
·         We/I recently wrote to you about … .
·         Thank you for your letter of 8 May.
·         Thank you for your letter regarding … .
·         Thank you for your letter/e-mail about … .
·         In reply to your letter of 8 May, … .

10 good closing lines

We need a closing line in a business letter or email:
to make a reference to a future event; to repeat an apology; to offer help
·         If you require any further information, feel free to contact me.
·         I look forward to your reply.
·         I look forward to hearing from you.
·         I look forward to seeing you.
·         Please advise as necessary.
·         We look forward to a successful working relationship in the future.
·         Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
·         Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience.
·         We hope that we may continue to rely on your valued custom.
·         I would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.

‘Yours faithfully’  or ‘yours sincerely’ in a business letter?

 

When the recipient’s name is unknown to you:
·         Dear Sir … Yours faithfully
·         Dear Madam … Yours faithfully
·         Dear Sir or Madam … Yours faithfully
When you know the recipient’s name:
·         Dear Mr Hanson … Yours sincerely
·         Dear Mrs Hanson … Yours sincerely
·         Dear Miss Hanson … Yours sincerely
·         Dear Ms Hanson … Yours sincerely
When addressing a good friend or colleague:
·         Dear Jack … Best wishes/Best regards
Addressing whole departments:
·         Dear Sirs … Yours faithfully

No comments:

Post a Comment